Raising kids can be both and exciting and challenging at times; they look up to you, watch what you do and learn from you, so it is important you practice smart habits that they will adopt. One of those smart habits is how you care for your teeth. You want your kids to see you brushing your teeth, flossing and practicing other healthy dental habits because, most likely, they will do the same. If you are struggling to get your little ones to love brushing their teeth, worry no more—we have some child dental tips that will help to make daily dental care much more enjoyable.
The basics of good dental hygiene
If you want to teach your kids how to properly clean and take care of their teeth, it is important to know the basics of good dental hygiene. Here are some basics on good dental hygiene that you can teach your little ones.
- Thoroughly brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss your teeth after each brushing
- Eat a balanced diet, limiting sugar intake
- Use dental products that contain fluoride
- Rinse with a fluoride mouthwash
Child dental tips to get them brushing!
Since kids typically don’t understand the importance behind some of the things we tell them they have to do, it is important you help them to understand why good dental hygiene is crucial. Once you have done that, here is what we recommend:
- Buy them a toothbrush that reflects their personality. Kids get excited about the smallest things, and if they love their toothbrush there is a chance they will love using it every day. Next time you head to the store, let them pick out their own toothbrush. Consider adding a fun kids toothpaste to the mix as well. Sometimes adult toothpastes are too strong for the little ones, and that can cause them to shy away from brushing.
- Make a game out of brushing their teeth. By teaching them that there can be fun in just about everything they do, including brushing their teeth, they will not dread doing it. Consider creating a system where you judge the cleanliness of their teeth after they are finished. The higher the score, the better the reward.
- Speaking of rewards, set up some kind of system. We aren’t suggesting paying them money (after all, this is something they should want to do for their health), but maybe an extra few minutes of play time before bed might suffice.
- Teach them the about brushing by telling them a story. There is a lot happening inside our mouths and that is why it is imperative we clean them at least twice a day. Kids might not understand all of the terminology we use, so create your own spin on it. Tell them about the germ monsters that create the plaque to destroy their smile kingdom, and they might understand how important it is to brush. Explain to them their toothbrush is the knight in shining armor, fighting off germ monsters that create the plaque. It will be their own little story carrying out in their head, all while brushing their teeth.
- When all else fails, brush your teeth together. By brushing your teeth together, they will see you taking care of your teeth and understand it is a key component to good health. Your kids look up to you, so use this to your advantage. You are the coolest person in their eyes, and whatever you are doing they will want to do as well!
Bottom line—you want the best for your kids and so do we. We are sure these child dental tips will help you get your little ones eager to brush their teeth and keep them on the path to practicing good dental habits for the rest of their lives! One more thing we must stress: it is important to keep up with their semi-annual teeth cleaning and exams. Teaching them the dentist is an integral part of good oral health will only help to enforce all the good habits you’ve been teaching them. To schedule your child’s dental exam and cleaning, contact us here!